Huck Salt Company was started in 1938 by Elmer Huckaby
(right), with just a shovel and wheelbarrow, Elmer harvested
salt. It took him two days to shovel six ton of salt and then took
it town and sold it to IMP Creamery in Fallon. It took one day to
unload by hand for $7 per ton. After selling the salt he decided
that a person can make a good living doing this.
Eventually, Elmer decided that he needed to increase
production and on a scrap piece of butcher paper designed a
harvester. He took that drawing to Leslie Salt and requested a
$2,000 loan, to buy the needed items. His loan was approved,
to be payable at $.50 per ton that was sold. With his loan
money he bought World War I Garford truck frame and scrap
parts from a cement company and within six weeks the
Harvester was built. frame and built a harvester. The harvester
picks up one ton of salt per minute and still is functional to this
day (see below).
Hauling salt to the train to be taken to ...
John, Tracy, Tron and Troy.
(Left to Right)
|Stockpile of salt with Sand Mountain in the background.
John Huckaby, Elmer's son who has been around the
business since 5 years old, officially joined him in the
business when John was 16 years old. In 1990,
John inherited the business after the passing of his
father Elmer. Soon after that John's three sons joined
him at Huck Salt; Tracy, Troy and Tron. Tracy was
lost to an unfortunate accident out at the salt flat in
1996. Troy and Tron still work along side their father
and now the grand kids are starting to join the family
business. Three Tron's sons, Kovey, Conner and
Kandon are now employees at Huck Salt and are
learning the ins and outs of the salt business.
The harvester built by Elmer
and Merlin Plummer in 1941,
that still works today picking
up one ton of salt per minute.
In the photo:
L to R
Troy, John & Tracy
The Athey, which has been
"upgraded" by Tron, bigger cab
with limo tint. This is the newer
harvester that picks up four tons of
salt per minute. Tron is the main
operator for this piece of equipment.
The Harvester in 1968 after a few
John's first delivery
truck 1960 International
The original Harvester built
Delivering salt to a train
stop near Kent's, to be
shipped to Pittsburgh,
California to Del Chemical.
To be used in the making of
chlorine tablets for the
soldiers during WWII. The
tablets helped with water
purification and helped
replace electrolytes in the